Monday 6 September 2010

133 Dave Windridge

Position : Midfield

Played : 1988-89

Appearances : 5

Goals : 0

Dave was an attacking midfielder trying to resurrect his League career after a bad injury had brought his time at Blackpool to a premature close. He started out at Sheffield United but made his League debut for Chesterfield in 1981. In the summer of 1983 he signed for Blackpool and made an instant impression by scoring after 11 seconds against Manchester City in a League Cup tie. In 1985 he suffered a bad injury which ultimately led to a free transfer in the summer of 1987. After a nomadic season playing for Northwich , Ankaragucu and Cork City he had a trial with Bury but they only gave him one gameand so he moved on to us.

I thought he looked alright in a side that was beginning to struggle. He had a good touch and was able to make space for himself so I was disappointed we didn't give him longer to make an impression. He moved on to Colne Dynamoes and became a key man in their ascent of the non-league Pyramid.

5 comments:

  1. I remember meeting him outside the Blackpool stadium in around 1985, coming out with what looked like a club coach, so I asked him if he was a Blackpool player. He appeared quite unfriendly and replied to ask why, but then the coach began to smile and ask me what team I followed. I said Blackpool, but I was visiting on holiday and 14. Windridge then signed my pennant! It was later that he scored that goal at City and that was around 1987, where they went on to lose 4-1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the info David. Have you seen the Blackpool vs York 1983-84 highlights ( featuring Dave) now on youtube ? I remember watching that in my hall of residence at Leeds; MOTD didn't do the Fourth Division very often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a lot of time for dave used to play cards with him every sunday in the prince of wales at brampton in chesterfield where he used to play

    ReplyDelete
  4. do you remember gordon fisher dave

    ReplyDelete